WHAT IS SWEATING?
Sweat, also known as perspiration, is a normal and healthy bodily function.
Sweating starts to occur just a few months after birth.
Why people sweat?
We mainly sweat to cool our bodies down, a process called thermoregulation. Our brain sends signals to perspire, releasing a clear fluid from over 3 million sweat glands (or sudoriferous glands) and as this fluid evaporates from our skin, it lowers our body temperature.
There are many factors that can cause us to perspire:
- Hot environments
- General movement and physical activities
- Emotional feelings, including stress
- Eating hot or spicy food
- Side effects from medication or surgery
- Illness, as our bodies fight infections or fevers
- Hormonal changes such as menopause, pregnancy, menstruation or puberty
On this site you’ll find lots of helpful information about how to stop sweat and how Degree can help.